Warren Buffet says he spends about 80 percent of his day reading. Bill Gates, Oprah Winfrey, and Jeff Bezos are also voracious readers.
Small business owners can gain valuable knowledge and inspiration from books of all genres.
First, we will tap the wisdom of the Reddit small business group. Then we will discuss the recommendations of notable business icons.
When a user asked, ‘What are the best books for running a business?’ fellow Redditors replied with the following picks:
- The Lean Startup — Eric Ries
- Blue Ocean Strategy — W. Chan Kim/ Renée Mauborgne
- The Power of Habit — Charles Duhigg
- Profit First — Mike Michalowicz
I’ve run a small business for a few years struggling to fully grasp managing the money coming in and out. This book [Profit First] provides a detailed breakdown to make sure that you are, first of all, making money and how to pay yourself just by setting up your bank accounts differently. It has been a huge help to me and my business. – Reddit commenter
- The 99U Book Series — Jocelyn K. Glei
- E Myth — Michael Gerber
- Small Time Operator — Bernard B. Kamoroff
- The SBA Business Plan Builder
- How to Win Friends and Influence People — Dale Carnegie
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People — Stephen R. Covey
- The 4-Hour WorkWeek — Timothy Ferris
- The 80/20 Principle — Richard Koch
- Start Your Own Business: The Only Startup Book You’ll Ever Need — Inc.
I had absolutely no knowledge of business or how businesses work but after purchasing this book [Start Your Own Business—The Only Startup Book You’ll Ever Need] I can say it really opened my eyes as to what is involved in starting and running a business. I feel this book is a crash course that covers everything in business and will also be used as a reference when needed and where to find even more info. — Amazon review
Many high-profile business greats recommend novels and self-help books for business guidance. For example, Jeff Bezos’ favorite book is The Remains of the Day by Kazuo Ishiguro.
Let’s look at top picks from some other notable business minds.
Oprah Winfrey: 10 Books Every Entrepreneur Should Read
- Behold the Dreamers — Imbolo Mbue
- The Seat of the Soul — Gary Zukav
- Behave — Robert M. Sapolsky
- The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom —Don Miguel Ruiz
- A Return to Love — Marianne Williamson
- The Power of Now — Eckhart Tolle
- Tuesdays with Morrie — Mitch Albom
- The Book of Awakening: Having the Life You Want By Being Present To The Life You Have — Mark Nepo
- Present over Perfect — Shauna Nieguist
- Love Warrior — Glennon Doyle Melton
- Broken Open — Elizabeth Lesser
Bill Gates’ & Warren Buffet’s Favorite Business Book
In 1991, Bill Gates asked Warren Buffet what he believed was the best book on business. Buffet told him Business Adventures by John Brooks. Buffet then sent him his copy. After reading it, Gates began singing its praises as well. In 2014, Gates affirmed that it was still his favorite business book.
By Liz Strikwerda